Friday, September 12, 2014

From Ignorant Baby to Determined Young Adult

August 2012, first PR class, first row (right in front of the lecturer), and 18 years old me is quietly waiting for the lecture to start. Here we go, Mr Carpen starts his lecture. I’ve been listening for 1 hour and I still do not understand what PR is! I touch my friend’s shoulder and whisper to her:
 “Linda, have you understood what PR is?”
“YES!” she replies with a huge smile
Catastrophe! I am stupid!
After three weeks of lecture, I finally have a little notion of what PR is. “10 more weeks and I’ll be done with this unit”, this is what I told myself. I have not at all thought about the second major I would have to choose in 2nd year.

December 2012, results are out and I passed PR201. This is when I realised I need to choose the 2nd major. What do I do? PR or marketing? Marketing 100 was all about theory, so was PR201. I am sure about Journalism for my first major and I think Journalism and PR will be a good combination. Okay, let’s take the risk! I take PR as my 2nd major.

March 2013, I see ‘PR Techniques’ in my time table and next to it, the name of the lecturer, ‘Veejayen Carpen’. ‘PR Techniques’, this sounds so boring but at least the lecturer is cool! Weeks and weeks of lectures and tutorials developing writing skills. Wait a second, this is fun! I am writing media releases and it is so related to journalism.

August 2013, PR Unit: Media Relations 250; Lecturer: Veejayen Carpen. Media and relations, this sounds pretty interesting and Veejayen as lecturer again, this is more than cool. I feel this is the beginning of a semester full of laughs. Week 7: 1st simulation of a press conference with a PR person, a spokesperson and reporters. Veejayen is not happy with the questions of the reporters.
“You guys are too nice reporters! I want nasty questions!”
“YES SIR!”
Oh my God! I am falling in love with PR!

September 2014, I am doing my last PR unit which is an internship and I am just loving it! 

From a baby of 18 years old who ignored the existence of PR to a young adult of nearly 21 years old who is now dreaming of the perfect job in the PR field! PR is simply the love of my life!

2 comments:

  1. Am really amazed by the fact how you can love PR so much !!

    While i hate PR i found it really boring and time consuming still am doing it as elective!! its like a love hate story since i found that marketing and PR are inter related!

    Glad to read your blog...

    Please go through my blog http://anousha04.tumblr.com/ would be really helpful for me and do leave comments!

    Regards,
    Anousha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anousha,

      Yes, i really love PR and to be honest i don't know why there are so many people who don't. But then again, we are all different.

      Actually marketing and PR are quite different in aims but they kind of use more or less the same tactics to achieve these goals.

      Thank you for reading my post. I'll for sure read your blog.

      Cheers,
      Gunadevi

      Delete