Friday, August 29, 2014

Thank you Design Practice!

Two years and a half ago I remember how I was complaining in my design class saying I would be doing Journalism and Public Relations as majors and design wouldn’t be of any help. I was obviously not the only one complaining. I was completely wrong! I never expected I would use the few design skills I have in the Public Relations field.

I started a PR internship last month and on the second day of internship my supervisor asked me a question I thought no one in that field would ever ask me. “Do you know how to use photoshop?” I hesitated for a while thinking what to answer. I know how to use photoshop but I am far from being an expert. Should I say yes or no? What if I say yes and he asks for something I don’t know? If I say no, wouldn’t he think that I am not qualified enough? I finally reacted after some seconds and said a not so convincing 'yes'. I am sure my supervisor noticed I was not too sure.

After some minutes, my supervisor came back to me asking me to design two stickers for a client on photoshop. I felt relieved when I realised that what he was asking was simple to do. However, the stickers would be better on illustrator than photoshop. I explained to my supervisor why I preferred doing the task on illustrator rather than on photoshop and he agreed. He liked the stickers and I was asked to design other stuffs during the following days.


My advice to you would be to never think you are learning something which will never be of any use. You are most probably wrong. It will come in handy at some point of your life. Today, I regret having complained that much in my design class. I should really thank my design lecturer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment